Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind in the darkness that you know you cannot fight. Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before. Let your soul take you where you long to be.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Success Story compiled by Heather Hodges


“I remember hating my body and wanting to lose weight since middle school. I wasn’t over weight then but more so ahead of the development curve than other girls my age, so I thought I was fat. In college, I actually started to put on weight and hit 170 pounds for my 5′6” frame. I was a modern dancer all my life but the weight never seemed to come off. I started using trainers at the gym, scaling down what I ate, etc etc and I finally shed to 155lbs. It wasn’t until a year or so later I was able to drop to the 140s and then eventually 130 while I was dancing intensely in NYC. However, when I came back to Texas, i was suffering from depression, a serious breakup, and a dead end in my career with no job to back me up. The weight crept back on. In August 2009 I had reached back to 155. I was so ashamed because my previous weight of 170 was just a jump away. It broke my heart that after all that hard work and the obstacles I had been through to slim down, I had gone right back to where I was. I couldn’t get control and I became more and more depressed about it. I started with a nutritionist for a mild eating disorder and distorted body image. That’s when i started CrossFit in August 2009.”

“I went to a free Saturday workout with my roommate and fell in love with the gym and the coaches (I met Heather here at the pull-up bar station!). I had never lifted weights, butI knew after that first workout that this was a gym who saw results! Most obvious, the amazingly sculpted and beautiful coaches that led the work out. Wow, this place must work if all the coaches look like that!!”


“Since starting CrossFit I have dropped to 145-149 pounds, but most importantly I have gone from 32% body fat to 20.7%! I’ve seen the most results in my upper body, arms, and waist. My booty and legs will be the most difficult, but I have finally started to see results there and I can’t wait till it melts off! Crossfit has given me such an empowerment over so many things in my life, especially food. I have a “no way am I eating that” attitude because I can see the work that I’m doing is paying off and I’m anxious to see how far the rabbit hole goes. While being restrictive and depriving in your food habits doesn’t always have positive effects, in fact most nutritionist frown upon this, the change for me was to not use food as a solution to everything. If I fall into depression, instead of using food to comfort, I go do a workout to give me strength. I also have realized that I can have that Mexican food and those desserts whenever I want. There’s no restriction necessary. But now I am choosing to eat healthy (and not fighting it) because my body functions better. Not because “I’m dieting.” Mentally I’m better focused mainly because I’m getting up everyday to do something very active. It keeps my mind clearer throughout the day. It allows me to access the enjoyments in life by working out my anxiety through workouts. When you’re a CrossFitter, there’s no room for BS in your life. period.”

“Sectionals came about because my wonderful trainer said “Hey I’m competing in this competition. Hey you should do it too.” The mere suggestion by her showed me that she actually had the confidence in me to compete in this thing, and she saw the spark and the drive that I had really sunk into the few months before. If it was an option for her, it was an option for me. Once I started thinking about it, I was like “cool, I’m a weightlifter competing in a weightlifting competition. I’m badass. “ I became addicted to the thought and thus began the journey.”


“Sectionals for me was bittersweet at first. I was immediately disappointed with my performance (classic Lindsay). My goal was to finish all the workouts and I didn’t finish two. But I left with a fire and a desire to rip someone’s head off next year. As it sank in, I started examining the things I learned at Sectionals about my body, my weaknesses, recovery, strength training, endurance, nutrition, and injuries. The truth is, I learned a whole heck of a lot and I wouldn’t change the experience for the world. I saw amazing performances by some amazing people. I want that. I can taste it.”

My future goals are to drop to 16% body fat, put on some mega muscle mass in the upper arms (I want my muscle up!), get that 6 pack I’ve always wanted, and slim down those legs!! I’m an actor and I want to be red carpet ready! So now my body won’t keep me from booking a job (like before) but will instead help me book the job. My cardio still suffers (i’m an asthmatic) so just getting through long workouts is always a challenge. I’d like to compete at Regionals next year (who knows, maybe even the Games)! In life, I want CrossFit to continue to promote healthy/conscious eating habits and a healthy state of mind. The clearing of the mind and the perspective CrossFit gives me will help me pursue my life goals as an actor and, some day, as a wife.”

Lindsay, your story is empowering and very inspirational. I’m honored to be your friend and coach. You have tenaciously stuck to your training and made enormous gains in strength and fitness and have met goal after goal. I know your final goal is not far away! I can’t even begin to tell you how proud I am that you took on the challenge of training for and competing at Sectionals. You did what thousands didn’t have the courage to do! Well done! Now, “On to the Next One!!!”

1 comment:

  1. I was always an extremely small guy. I didn't even break 100 pounds until later in High School, but as I got older and ended up at a desk job, the weight slowly started adding up. I'm only 5'6, but by last year I was up to 170. That's probably not horrible for a guy, but it certainly wasn't great either. I finally decided to do something about it.

    Back in December I started eating a little better and jogging/hiking on a regular basis. At first nothing happened, but after about a month, the pounds started falling off. Right now I'm about 143, and feeling pretty great about it.

    Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck at keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete